Monday, May 6, 2013

Injustice Gods Among Us


468x60 injustice Injustice: Gods Among Us
 Injustice: Gods Among Us I am not a comic fan; I’m an anime fan.  I’m also a anime fighting game fan.  So while DC comic fans were foaming at the mouth at the sight of their favorite superheroes being revealed on eachInjustice character reveal trailer, I remained indifferent about the game.  When I played the game on it’s release date at my local fighting game scene, I realized how  fun the gameplay was.
At first looking at the animations, button inputs, and the gameplay, I thought I was looking at Mortal Kombat 9 with stage hazards.  Thankfully the options to have alternate controls (think street fighter controls), some characters with the ability to air dash, and the stage interactions add a lot of variety to this game.

LIKES

Being a fan of fighting games like BlazBlue, I felt comfortable with the fact that each character has a unique ability known as a traits.  With the press of a button, Aquaman could cover himself in water and slip out of ground combos, Wonder Woman can change combat modes, and Superman becomes more powerful.  Learning each character’s trait was fun and helpful.
The ability to display my combos and moves on screen and being able to see where the stage interactions are in training mode is nice.  There is a variety of options in training mode and the tutorial helped me get used to the game pretty quickly.
There is a ton of DC love here.  There are a lot of DC characters to choose from.  The story seems like a story straight out of a comic.  Like Mortal Kombat 9, Nether Realms does a nice job of writing a good story that is presented nicely in a fighting game. There are also mini games, where players could complete in order to win XP which helps players unlock bonus content in the game (concept art, character models, etc).

On the Fence

The costumes are what to be expected from comics, except some look weird (like Flash’s outfit).  Thankfully, there are a ton of dlc and outfits to unlock, in case players aren’t happy with the default outfits.  I would really love to see  Harley Quinn’s original outfit instead of the obvious fanservice outfits she has today.
7320416 f520 300x224 Injustice: Gods Among Us
RIP Harley’s original outfit. I liked it when she looked like a harlequin

There isn’t a way to show someone’s rank online.  Players can easily gain experience and level up through single player modes.  That one person with, a ton of XP, could have spent most of their time in single player mode before going online.  Of course winning a few ranked matches online, doesn’t always equal a highly skilled player.  The option to set rank matches according to a player’s current level or a higher level would have been nice.  The ability to mute players in player matches is wonderful!  No more babies and kids screaming into the mic for me!

Dislike

I can skip characters’ intros but I can’t skip their outros?  The outros are long and, except for a one custom choice for the Green Lantern & Superman, there is only one outro for each character!  After the outro, I need to wait for the players’ XP to go up.  I found myself tapping my foot or finishing a text message while Black Adam electrocuted me for the hundredth time.

Conclusion

Despite not being into the source material, I found Injustice Gods Among Us to be a very fun game.  I hope this game lasts a long time in the fighting game community so I can see more tournaments and go to more tournaments for the game.  When I can’t find anybody I want to play against, I will have a lot of options in single player mode.  This game is worth the money.
Be sure to look at some of the great stuff from GameStop for Injustice here:  The Battle Edition,Collector’s Edition, and the Season’s Pass
201585a Injustice: Gods Among Us  Injustice: Gods Among Us   271286a Injustice: Gods Among Us  Injustice: Gods Among Us
601400a Injustice: Gods Among Us  Injustice: Gods Among Us

No comments:

Post a Comment